Berkshire Co-op Market is a consumer cooperative. That means that while we are open to all shoppers, our customers have the opportunity to own an equity share in the business. After agreeing to a financial commitment, these customers receive certain benefits and exercise their ownership through patronage, through democratic elections of the Board of Directors and by maintaining a voice in the co-op’s activities.
The Benefits of Ownership
Co-op ownership is not just about benefits. Your ownership gives us the ability to achieve our end goals. Those ends are in support of:
• Local farmers and food producers;
• Small business and the local economy;
• A sustainable local and regional food system;
• Community education about health and environmentalism;
• Sustainable business practices;
• Thoughtful and responsible consumerism;
• A cooperative community spirit.
• Community needs based discount & senior discount
That said, it’s nice to get something in return. Benefits of ownership include:
• Quarterly Owner Appreciation Days, which offer a storewide 10% discount to co-op owners;
• Access to the Buying Club, which allows owners to purchase large quantities at reduced prices;
• Enrollment in the Patronage Dividend Program, which offers owners dividend checks based on their total yearly purchases;
• Membership in Community Connections, which offers owners discounts and deals from local businesses;
• The option to run for the Board of Directors and a vote in Board of Directors elections.
• Access to Prepaid Owner Tabs (PPOT) which allow owners the ability to use owner cards at the registers as an alternative to credit/debit cards.